Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Things # 16 & # 17

I have been using 'Wikipedia' for some years now for my own personal use and as a library assistants unofficial research tool so looking at the library wikis was a completely new experience. I found the 'Books Lovers Wiki to be the 'prettiest' maybe because unlike 'Library Success' and 'SJCPL Subject Guides' it doesn't emulate the interface of Wikipedia and is not so textbook like in appearance. I was simply amazed by the amount of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in the Princeton Wiki. I really enjoyed watching Peter Blake 'Wiki's in Plain English' video-so easy to follow, cute and informative. The edit-save-link cycle expained so very clearly. I had no idea you could co-ordinate a camping trip on a wiki! Like a cut-paste-remove discussion, no boring-repetitive-laborious round and round we go emails. Without going into all the obvious pros and cons of wiki's, I love the anarchy inherant in being able to edit other peoples entries/pages. After all it is not as if 'official' historical reference sources aren't edited with subjectivity. Japan's World War two text books are an extremely good example of this.





I explored the Learning 2.0 Favourites wiki and added a 'favourite movie' (Festen) and it was quite cute to see my other library pals favourites, I also added a 'favourite book(s)'(John Dollar and Small Holdings) which link through to their entries in my 'Library Thing' library. I enjoyed snooping aroung the other favourites-guessing some of the entries or fellow library workers from tell-tale clues. I also added my blog to the Favourite Blogs page all though it's NOT my favourite.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great to see you added in some of your favourite things.